Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Freedom from Fear
So, I've always had this thing called "job-phobia." I've always been able to babysit, but when it came to a "real job," I was terrified! When I first turned sixteen, I got a job at a local restaurant. (Might I mention a very busy local restaurant.) I basically had a nervous breakdown the second day, told the supervisor that it was just too stressful, and cried for a day and a half. I had failed in my mind. I felt HORRIBLE! Then I was accepted at Youth for Christ about a year later, but I was too chicken to take it after my last traumatic experience! Last year I got the job at Silverwood School, but that was my niche, my familiar go-to: Kids! The experience was amazing- and I'm confident that I want to become a teacher. The Summer School Program at Silverwood seemed like the perfect plan- I only had to work three weeks, but I was going to make at least $3,000. This program was advertised a lot better than it cracked up to be. The gal running it ended up only giving me one class to teach, and her niece and niece's friend each got six- I was pretty much taken advantage of and feeling kind of blue. Nobody would hire me only for two months, but I need a job! I was looking online everywhere - camps, craigslist, you name it. I emailed a couple preschools with summer programs, and then Island Lake. They had trained their staff in the spring, but I thought maybe they'd have a position open still. I emailed the lady, and they had an office assistant position open. I was thrilled! Might I mention that I started to get that panicky feeling at first. Job-phobia still had a grip on me! I got all my info. together and faxed her my resume and cover letter this morning. I did my devotions just after that. Guess what it was on? "Freedom from Paralyzing Fears." PERFECT! It was exactly what I needed to hear, something that could help me break down a satan-fed fear that began years ago. I've been memorizing 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." I have a sense of peace about the employment situation. I now consider it an opportunity for God to use me as the captivating person he made me! I don't know if I got the job yet, but even if I don't, I'm one step closer to being free from my life-consuming job-phobia!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
YEAH GOD! Isn't it awesome how He uses things to mold and shape us!
Yay Jessica! I'm happy for you :) I have a bit of job fear myself
Post a Comment